Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mom and Baby Exercise Part 1

I love exercising! I love how I have a great gym close by that has a great day care to watch Allie while I do my spin classes or run on the treadmill. 
This is all great but I also love finding time to exercise with Allie. 

Mom and Baby exercise is a great bonding experience for both mom and baby!

Quick Fact: Exercise can help decrease symptoms of  postpartum depression, help build those bones, muscles and joints and increase stamina. 

Because we all know it helps to have a strong body and some stamina while raising a little one!

I will be blogging more exercises in the future but I wanted to start with one of my favorites! 

 Airplane Ride 


While lying on your back (back pressed to the ground) with your knees to your chest, place baby on your shins! Talk/make faces at your baby as you move them up and down and side to side!
This exercise mostly targets the core and lower body.
This is also a great tummy time exercise for those babies that are not as comfortable with being on the floor during tummy time. (This game is kind of a distraction)



You can also add a leg lift to work on the quadriceps muscles.
Start with your legs at a 90 degree angle, lower legs moving your heels towards your glutes then back up again. I make sure to always keep my lower back pressed to the floor during the whole exercise. 

Remember to always hold onto your baby!!


Till Next Time!

Laura

References: 
Myers-Smith, C.(n.d.) Mom and Baby Exercise. Retireved June 14, 2011 from http://www.dswfitness.com/docs/Mom&BabyExercise.pdf

Polak, N. (n.d.) Get Moving! Retrieved June 14, 20011 from

5 comments:

  1. What gym do you go to? I'm been trying to plan ahead when I need to find a gym that has childcare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inlet South by the Home Depot. I love it there! The daycare ladies are so nice too. You can start bringing a baby a 6wks old for only $20/month for 2 hrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I hadn't been able to find out that info online, but I knew they had daycare. I'm sure you'll start seeing me there this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoo! You should do the spin/weight training class with me in the mornings, its intense but gets you in shape quick

    ReplyDelete