Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eat More When Exercising??

Do you ever feel like exercising makes you eat more amounts of food? Have you ever caught yourself thinking, "Go ahead and have that second helping...you had a hard workout today?"
If so, you are probably guilty of using food as a reward for exercise.

According to research, a good hard workout actually tends to suppress the appetite for several hours unless you reward that hard workout with food. 


I know I can be guilty of it. I have caught myself several times, especially during long bike rides craving a root beer float, ha! I tend to fight this urge with my small amount of will power but I can see how hard it can be.

I for one want to get away from using food as a reward, so I got to thinking about other rewards I could choose instead of helping myself to more food.

First things first though here's a tip:
In order to combat the hunger after exercise, it's best to have a carb/protein rich snack within 30 to 45 minutes after completing a workout. My favorite is a small glass of chocolate milk. Other snacks include, yogurt with some fruit, string cheese with a few crackers or a slice of bread with some peanut butter on it.
Waiting too long after a workout can actually cause you to over eat at your next meal or journey towards the evil junk food or sodium rich quickie meals! 

Now that we are not hungry anymore lets get back to thinking of other rewards besides food!



  1. Download a few new songs onto your iPod. Changing up your workout mix can really help you stay motivated
  2. A nice long bath or shower 
  3. New workout outfits or gear! I recently did this as a reward to myself for loosing most of my pregnancy weight. 
  4. Get a massage or mani/pedi. It's a great way to relax those aching muscles after a hard training schedule. Obviously, you cant get a massage every day (I wish) but making this a reward after reaching a fitness goal is a GREAT reward.
  5. Take a mini vacation! This can be getting a sitter and having a night out with friends or an actual vacation! This will help you stay motivated to hit the workouts so you can look your best!
I hope this helps those of you that find yourself frustrated by the fact that you are eating more while exercising. I hope that you can find your own personal rewards besides food to help you stay motivated to look and feel your best!

Till Next Time!

Laura

1 comment:

  1. Good posting, Laura! I have some personal training clients who tend to use exercising as an excuse to eat more, and in most cases it seems to be just a reward for the workout.
    I usually recommend people to drink water after the workout, and depending on how tough it was, to have a protein snack or preferably just some fruits. Once you get over that right-after-workout craving, you really won't be that hungry .... happy workouts!!

    ReplyDelete