Saturday, May 28, 2011

Postnatal 5K Training

So before having Allie, I was in pretty good shape, such as climbing a 14,000ft mountain, completing a few metric centuries (65 miles) on a road bike as well as working out 4 times a week doing a spin class or other sort of cardio but I would have NEVER considered myself a runner. I would tell friends, that I couldn't run because my body just couldn't handle it. Little did I know, with a little practice my body COULD handle it.

I got the push to run by hanging out with runners in Lemoore I think. These friends were awesome runners.....they could run half and full marathons....yikes! So, I started a training program I found on the Runner's World website called the Runner's World 8 Week Beginning Runner's Training Program

I did this program for about 5 weeks and I was slowly becoming a runner but then I found out I was pregnant. I knew that running was probably okay to keep up with (at a slower intensity of course) but me being the worry-wort that I am I didn't feel safe running while preggers. So, I found other ways to exercise during the duration of my pregnancy.

I was so excited and determined to run again after waiting those 6 weeks after having a c-section. I had to remember though to start working out slowly again. Here is pretty much what I did:

  • Weeks 6-8 Postnatal Workouts
    • Bike on trainer for 40 minutes light intensity 3x a week 
    • Walk 2.5 miles approx 2x a week
  • Weeks 7-11 Postnatal Workouts
    • Bike on trainer for 40 minutes moderate intensity 3x a week
    • Runner's World Training Program: Run/Walk 2.5 miles aprrox 3-4x a week
  • Weeks 12-Present Postnatal Workouts
    • High intensity Spin/Weights/Plyometric class at the gym 1-2x a week
      • 40 minutes on spin bike
      • 20 minutes of weights and exercises such as push-ups, mountain climbers, high knees
    • Runner's World Training program: Run/Walk to 3.1 miles* 4x a week 
 *I extended the mileage to a 5K distance. The Runner's World workout only has you go about 2.5 miles

By doing this program I was able to complete a 5K 17 weeks postnatal at a 10.48 average mile. SLOW but I did it :-)

The before photo

The after photo

33.28 minutes to the finish!

I am by no means saying this program is the best way to do it or the "correct" way and I was of course in shape before hand so it was easier to pick back up the workouts. I am just hoping to motivate you to start your own workout schedule and I hope that you succeed at whatever you find you love to do.

Please remember to consult a doctor before starting any workout program


Till Next Time!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment